Skip to main content

Afternoon Tea

Over the weekend I hosted a friend's baby shower afternoon tea.  I like baking and cooking but I am also short on time so when deciding the menu, I wanted minimal ingredients, time and effort.

For the savoury, I chose mini quiches and pumpernickel bread topped with egg + smoked salmon and cream cheese.
Image from nigella.com

For the sweets, I went with Nigella Lawson's Rocky Road Crunch Bars and Frankie Magazine's All Together Cake from their Afternoon Tea book/app.

The Rocky Road is super easy to make and sooo good and moreish!  Nigella has dark chocolate in her recipe but I just melted choc chips I found at the supermarket.  I also used honey instead of golden syrup as that is all I had in the pantry.

The All Together Cake is also super easy (recipe below).  Just make sure your self raising flour isn't too old.  Mine was nearing its expiry date so the first cake was a disaster as it didn't rise!

All Together Cake Recipe:
Ingredients: 1/4 cup of milk, 125g butter, 3/4 caster sugar, 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon plain flour, 1 cup self raising flour, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preheat oven to 180 C. Combine all ingredients in a bowl & beat for about 6 minutes. Grease cake tin, pour mixture in & bake for 40 minutes.  
Ice cake with your preferred icing. I used butter, icing sugar and a little hot water. 


My only photo from the day - I forgot to take more!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla Zampatti turns 50

This year marks 50 years of the iconic Carla Zampatti fashion label.   After being denied a pay rise from her  £13 a week job designing blouses for a wholesale fashion house in 1964, she launched her own label a year later and the rest is fashion history.  The fashion house  celebrated yesterday with the 2015 Spring/Summer showcase in Sydney at the Opera House.   A beautiful, elegant and gorgeous collection.   Well played Ms Zampatti. 

West Elm Market, Brooklyn

I want one of these to open up here in Singapore where there is a serious lack of cool homewares stores! This looks like my kind of shop. The West Elm Market focuses on selling goods from 4 key product areas - kitchen, garden, care & repair and personal care.   Products are available online here images via West Elm  

Music memories

I have the office to myself this afternoon so I can ditch the headphones and am turning up the music. I used to be really up to date with music, read music blogs and keep up with new songs, artists, go to gigs.. but this has sort of faded out in the last few years. These days I seem to rely a lot on Spotify and their playlists and recommendations which is great for busy people! But this afternoon I am feeling a bit nostalgic so reminiscing and playing some songs played at our wedding back in 2010 which is bringing back some beautiful memories.   Walking down the aisle:  First dance: