Skip to main content

Home made granola - our very own crunchy monkey


When we were in Phuket last month, the Mr found some really tasty locally made granola by Crunchy Monkey at the supermarket.   We liked it so much we bought a few bags home with us.  The little Miss is a big fan and is always asking to eat 'crunchy monkey' (even when it isn't breakfast time!).

Unfortunately our stocks are running low and good quality granola (that is not just toasted oats) is so expensive!  So to keep me and the little girl busy on the weekend and to try and combat the jetlag I was suffering, I decided to try and make our own.  It was way easier than I expected and is super yum.  It was also a fun and easy way to get the little Miss involved in cooking.

I tried a simple recipe but I think I will try other variations next time.  I turned to trusty google and this one was the first result after searching 'home made granola' so I adapted it and gave it a go...

Homemade Granola 

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped raw nuts (any nuts will do, I used cashews and almonds)
  • 1/2 cup dried fruit (any will do, I used sultanas and cranberries)
  • 1/4 cup raw seeds (any seeds will do, I used flaxseed and chia seeds)
  • 2-3 tablespoons of honey
  • 2 tbspn coconut oil
  • 1/2 tspn vanilla extract 
Method:
Preheat oven to 150C. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use your hands to mix well and toss.   Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking tray and bake for 10mins or until lightly toasted. Cool before serving and keep in an airtight container or jar.

Comments

KIRUTHIVASAN said…
I have been visiting your recipe blog. The way of recipe tips looks to be easy for all readers. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe to obtain useful posts like this periodically. Particularly post on "Home made granola - our very own crunchy monkey" is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites vegetarian restaurants in mahabalipuram | vegetarian restaurants in pondicherry
These are good habits for all those who eat homemade food, these things are beneficial for health, but people should know how to prepare it? May be, this article will benefit those who want to learn something. You continue share your experience with us like this.


Thanks & Regards
Painting services Sydney
Commercial painters Sydney

Popular posts from this blog

Carla Zampatti turns 50

This year marks 50 years of the iconic Carla Zampatti fashion label.   After being denied a pay rise from her  £13 a week job designing blouses for a wholesale fashion house in 1964, she launched her own label a year later and the rest is fashion history.  The fashion house  celebrated yesterday with the 2015 Spring/Summer showcase in Sydney at the Opera House.   A beautiful, elegant and gorgeous collection.   Well played Ms Zampatti. 

West Elm Market, Brooklyn

I want one of these to open up here in Singapore where there is a serious lack of cool homewares stores! This looks like my kind of shop. The West Elm Market focuses on selling goods from 4 key product areas - kitchen, garden, care & repair and personal care.   Products are available online here images via West Elm  

Music memories

I have the office to myself this afternoon so I can ditch the headphones and am turning up the music. I used to be really up to date with music, read music blogs and keep up with new songs, artists, go to gigs.. but this has sort of faded out in the last few years. These days I seem to rely a lot on Spotify and their playlists and recommendations which is great for busy people! But this afternoon I am feeling a bit nostalgic so reminiscing and playing some songs played at our wedding back in 2010 which is bringing back some beautiful memories.   Walking down the aisle:  First dance: