Skip to main content

weekend respite...

Our weekend was spent catching up with friends, pram buying adventures (by adventure I mean painful overwhelming shopping experience) and of course one of our favourite past times - eating and checking out some new places around town. 

On Friday night we caught up with some of the kids over Korean at Two Days One Night at Tanjong Pagar (our Korean friend Chaz recommended and invited us along and according to him it is one of the more decent places around).   It's always so fun when (a) you go out and eat in a big group, (b) one person who knows what they are doing takes control and orders for everyone and (c) you just delight in whatever comes to the table.  Lots of yummy spicy, meaty goodness.   The pancakes were my favourite - soooo tasty.   There was a massive line out the front of the restaurant so it is obviously a popular choice.  I would definitely go back.

After dinner, we walked over to check out Jigger and Pony - a cool little cocktail bar that has recently opened.   I obviously didn't try any of the cocktails given my current state but from all reports the cocktails are delish and there were a few sore heads the next day.

After spending our Saturday at IKEA and looking at prams and cots, I had a serious hankering for some decent Vietnamese to cheer me up.  This was rather ambitious of me as to date we haven't really found any place in Singapore that has served any particularly good Vietnamese food.  I had recently read about the newly opened Caphe East so the Mr and I trekked out to the East Coast to check it out for dinner.   It was not the best but pretty decent compared to the other Viet places we have been to in Singapore.  I think the main problem in Singapore is the quality and (lack of) availability of fresh ingredients used in Vietnamese cooking.  The Bun Bo Hue was spicy and full of flavour and did the trick to make me happy.  The Goi Cuon was light and fresh and served with a yummy peanut sauce but I still think mine and my mum's are better :)   The Banh Xeo was not too bad but too many bean sprouts for my liking and not enough of the pork and prawn filling.  The Mr's favourite Vietnamese dish that he normally orders everywhere, Bun Cha Gio Thit Nuong, was a disappointment.   Having said that, we would go back as it is one of the better Vietnamese places we have found on the island plus they do $5 cocktails on a Saturday night (bargain!).  I am hanging out to try Wrap and Roll (a yummy chain from Vietnam that we have eaten at with Mum in Saigon) when it opens in a few months time.

The lovely Miss A came over for lunch on Sunday so I knocked up a light lunch of mini ham and sundried tomato quiches served with a simple rocket, tomato and parmesan salad.  For drinks, I made up a jug of refreshing Rose and Vanilla Iced Tea.  It was a lovely few hours spent chatting and catching up. 

That night, we didn't feel like cooking and I really felt like fish and chips for some reason (I haven't had it for ages so perhaps a pregnancy craving?) so we trekked over to Greenwood Avenue to the Greenwood Fish Market and Bistro.   Sitting outdoors at dusk chatting and enjoying beautifully crumbed and flaky fresh fish served with crispy chips and tartare sauce - you really can't go wrong with that combination!  We will definitely be back.  

There are some department store baby sales this weekend which we are planning to scope out so I think we will definitely be in need of some more eating respite and new restaurants to cheer us up after that.  I will report back! x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla Zampatti turns 50

This year marks 50 years of the iconic Carla Zampatti fashion label.   After being denied a pay rise from her  £13 a week job designing blouses for a wholesale fashion house in 1964, she launched her own label a year later and the rest is fashion history.  The fashion house  celebrated yesterday with the 2015 Spring/Summer showcase in Sydney at the Opera House.   A beautiful, elegant and gorgeous collection.   Well played Ms Zampatti. 

West Elm Market, Brooklyn

I want one of these to open up here in Singapore where there is a serious lack of cool homewares stores! This looks like my kind of shop. The West Elm Market focuses on selling goods from 4 key product areas - kitchen, garden, care & repair and personal care.   Products are available online here images via West Elm  

Music memories

I have the office to myself this afternoon so I can ditch the headphones and am turning up the music. I used to be really up to date with music, read music blogs and keep up with new songs, artists, go to gigs.. but this has sort of faded out in the last few years. These days I seem to rely a lot on Spotify and their playlists and recommendations which is great for busy people! But this afternoon I am feeling a bit nostalgic so reminiscing and playing some songs played at our wedding back in 2010 which is bringing back some beautiful memories.   Walking down the aisle:  First dance: