Skip to main content

A cynic's guide to green smoothies


For a while now I have seen a lot written about green smoothies and to be honest I didn't get it.  

I read interviews in beauty and celeb blogs and there was always some reference to green smoothies as part of a morning routine. Instagram and social media were flooded with images of folks traipsing around with their green smoothies and eating raw this and that.  I thought it was all a bit over the top and just some food fad.

I was a cynic to say the least. I am a food loving, coffee and wine drinking girl who likes to eat bread, rice and all the stuff you aren't 'meant' to.

But a few weeks ago I started making some changes.  For most of this year I have been feeling run down, tired, was getting sick alot and just feeling 'blah'... My iron, zinc and vitamin levels were way down.  I had previously put it down to just being busy and stressed with work and life but something really needed to change.

My time off between jobs gave me some time to get back into exercise.  I also have a few friends who recently made some lifestyle changes including eating cleaner, going paleo, cutting sugar etc with positive results.

So I was inspired to give some new things a go.  About 3 weeks ago, I started making green smoothies every morning and started eating a little 'cleaner' and I feel so much better!  More energy, clearer skin and I have lost a little weight.  I think one positive decision naturally leads to others (ie if you start the day with a healthy choice, it will likely affect your other decisions during the day) so I definitely recommend it!

A few helpful links are below if you want to try out a green smoothie (and despite what you read you do not need a $1000 blender - our normal cheap one works fine).


I have only used one recipe so far and have adapted the Glowing Green Smoothie (recipe in the links above).  Except I don't buy organic and just keep it pretty simple by adding anything green I can get my hands on that is not super expensive (eg kale, lettuce, spinach, celery) and add apple, pear and banana.  For sweetness I use a mix of water and coconut water/juice and some almond milk,  If you have some mint lying around add that too as it makes it extra yummy.   We chop ingredients the night before or you could do a big batch on the weekend and freeze it.

For parents, the little Miss loves these smoothies too which to my delight has increased her vegie intake as she is currently in a 'I don't eat anything green' phase!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carla Zampatti turns 50

This year marks 50 years of the iconic Carla Zampatti fashion label.   After being denied a pay rise from her  £13 a week job designing blouses for a wholesale fashion house in 1964, she launched her own label a year later and the rest is fashion history.  The fashion house  celebrated yesterday with the 2015 Spring/Summer showcase in Sydney at the Opera House.   A beautiful, elegant and gorgeous collection.   Well played Ms Zampatti. 

West Elm Market, Brooklyn

I want one of these to open up here in Singapore where there is a serious lack of cool homewares stores! This looks like my kind of shop. The West Elm Market focuses on selling goods from 4 key product areas - kitchen, garden, care & repair and personal care.   Products are available online here images via West Elm  

Music memories

I have the office to myself this afternoon so I can ditch the headphones and am turning up the music. I used to be really up to date with music, read music blogs and keep up with new songs, artists, go to gigs.. but this has sort of faded out in the last few years. These days I seem to rely a lot on Spotify and their playlists and recommendations which is great for busy people! But this afternoon I am feeling a bit nostalgic so reminiscing and playing some songs played at our wedding back in 2010 which is bringing back some beautiful memories.   Walking down the aisle:  First dance: